Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Honey I Lost the Keys While On Vacation

Every now and then we get ourselves into a stupid situation that should be really easy to get ourselves out of, but things just happen to compound the situation so it ends up way bigger than it should have been when it started out. That's pretty much how it went one time when I managed to lose our keys while on vacation with the family. I'll tell you about it.

Last year we decided that we'd go down to Cancun in Mexico for a nice relaxing week-long vacation by the sea. Just relaxing on the beach, relaxing in our apartment and relaxing by the pool were the three main rules of the week. Sounds idyllic, doesn't it?

The Vacation


Well, everything was going fine until three days into the vacation when I decided to take the rental car for a drive around the place to, you know take in some sights that did not include a beach, some sea and not much else! Yeah, you guessed it, I already broke my own rules, cause sitting around relaxing all day can get awful boring!

Well we all got in the car and we set off in search of some adventure. Things were fine and we drove around for an hour or so, but soon the kids wanted to get back to the beach. So we started to head back but on the way found a cute little restaurant by the side of the road and could not pass up the chance to check it out and practice our Spanish in a real Mexican place away from the resort where everyone just spoke English to us.

The kids agreed with this decision, by the way. That was mainly because they needed the bathroom and were feeling hungry anyway. So in we went and had a great lunch and really enjoyed ourselves. Well it came time to pick up the check and leave, but when we got outside I realized I didn't have the keys to the car!

The Car Keys Had Disappeared!


Oh no! Like my serious key losing problem had followed me all the way to my vacation. I thought it was just an at-home-stress thing with me. Seems not!

No problem I thought. After all where could they have gone between the car and the table I sat at in the restaurant?

I went back inside and asked the waiter to check our table to see if I'd left the keys on there. He went and took a look, then came back and said there were no keys on there. The table had not been cleared even, so it wasn't as if someone had picked them up by mistake!

By this time my wife and kids had followed me inside, knowing only too well it seemed that retrieving keys was not ever going to be a simple affair for me. Me and the kids looked under the table and chairs, but no keys there!

Wife to the Rescue


My wife just stood there with a half smile on her face that said she knew something I didn't know. I stood up wondering what she was secretly hiding when she pulled the electronic key finder transmitter out of her handbag and pressed one of the buttons.

The reassuringly familiar audible beep sounded from the back of the small restaurant, coming from the bathroom. I went into the bathroom and to my surprise; there were the car keys on top of the wash basin exactly where I had put them down when I came in here to wash my hands!

You just know I had forgotten doing that!

It seems my wife had already anticipated the very real chance that I mislaid the car keys, so she had slipped a spare key finder receiver onto the key ring before we set out. That's just like her to think of something important that I certainly would not have!

We were able to enjoy the rest of our vacation without further incident, by the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment